Thursday, January 1, 2009

Olive Grove





We did it... we saw the Milford Sound, hopped around the glaciers, saw the Pancake Rocks, and drove over most of the western side of the South Island. After a long haul back across the country to the east cost, we spent a couple days in Oamaru at the Olive Grove Lodge.

I don't know if I can speak for Chris, or maybe I can, but this was my favorite place we have stayed and the gardens made it post-worthy. Kim and his wife Lyn run this former scout camp turned lodge with their two sons, nestled at the foot of the beautiful mountains and coast surrounding. We saw picture of the rather boring and run-down concrete BLAH that it once was and couldn't believe it's start.

Lyn has turned it into this beautiful oasis with lush gardens filled with poppies, foxglove, and I don't even know what else. The air was perfumey and gorgeous. Right by their li'l place in the world was also the Yellow-Eyed Penguin colony... and when we went there in the evening we got to sit in a hidden perch and watch them return home. They call to eachother from the shore and sea... and seem to greet one another and help the others groom, too. It was amazing to see. There were big furry seals there, too... not the best for picture taking, but breathtaking for quite a while to sit in the quiet, listen to the calls, and get lost in mother nature.

No comments: