Sunday, November 23, 2008

T'was the Morning Of...

So, there's a thing about excitement... you can't stop it coming on and when your body tells you "get up", you rise.  It doesn't matter that you went to bed at 4:30 after a late night drive, and it's now only 8am.  The odd thing is, I get that way when I know I'm going to bake something, too.  My body gets giddy with anticipation and sheer exhaustion will not keep me in bed.

I left Boston just after midnight last night after a lovely send off thanks to Joe and Kim.  Cake, ice cream cake, cookies, balloons... so thoughtful of them!  Who doesn't love cake?

My pack is down to 32lbs.  Not too shabby for a clothes horse of a girl who likes options and footwear.  I'm as ready as I'll ever be - and I'm also reminding myself that yes, in addition to a plethora of sheep, Kiwis, too, need things like deodorant, aloe, and band-aids.

Now Chris is a funny one... yep.  We spoke a couple nights ago to reconfirm times and everything.  He proudly announced that yes, he would be back in Auckland the night before and sleeping in a bed in the all male dorm.  Now with the flight times, international date line and details - I technically arrive on Tuesday morning at 6:30am.  He was also thinking that I'd be arriving on Monday morning.  So, Chris' idea was to pick me up a day early after weeks of being apart and take me to an all-male dorm.  I'm thinking that's less than ideal, no?  Since then he has rebooked and now has the right date.  While I'm all about hilarity and mishaps - messing with my arrival after 23 hours in transit is decidedly not funny in this context.

I'm off... jumping in my plane this morning and ready as I'll ever be.  The next post will be New Zealand and beyond!

No comments: